European Biometrics Research and Industry Awards 2018
EAB is launching a call for nominations for the twelfth European Biometrics Research and Industry Awards. These prestigious awards are granted annually to individuals who have been judged by a panel of internationally respected experts to be making a significant contribution to the field of biometrics research and innovations in Europe.
The awards are recognizing innovation in academic research as well as in industry. Thus biometric experts with either of the following profiles should submit their work. Academic researchers enrolled in the last or penultimate year of a Ph.D. program or who have obtained a Ph.D., with major focus on biometrics, from a European academic institution no later than two years before the given deadline, might consider applying for the award. Further industrial researchers employed by European companies whose core business is biometrics might consider applying for the industry award, which will be granted to the candidate that has created the strongest impact for industry.
Applicants are asked to submit a research paper and supporting information by
15 May 2018 15 June 2018. These papers will be reviewed by a jury composed of internationally recognized experts in the field of biometrics who will judge the academic and scientific quality for the EAB academic research award and the novelty, impact, applicability and the novelty, impact, applicability and other business aspects for the EAB industry award.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to present their research papers in front of the jury, the EAB members and the public audience on 26 September 2018 during the European Association for Biometric scientific symposium in Darmstadt, Germany. All shortlisted candidates will be awarded with complementory one year EAB membership.
The winner of the European Biometric Research Award 2018 will receive a commemorative certificate and a 2.000,00 € prize. The winner will be selected by all attending Jury members.
The winner of the European Biometric Industry Award 2018 will receive a commemorative certificate and a 2.000,00 € prize. The winner will be selected by all attending Jury members and EAB industry members.
The Awards are supported by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). The authors of the best papers entered for the Award will be invited to submit a new paper on their current work to the IET Biometrics Journal, as part of a joint IET/EAB initiative to promote research excellence and support Early Career Researchers. The Guest Editor for this collection of papers will be Professor Patrizio Campisi, who is Chairman of the Awards Jury.
Application Process for the Awards
European Biometric Research Award 2018
Nominees must be registered for a Ph.D. degree in a European University or they should have obtained a Ph.D. from a European University. Their area of research must have a major focus on biometrics . To have sufficient depth of research, it is envisaged that Ph.D. students will be in the final or penultimate year of study. Recent Ph.D. graduates, who completed their studies not more than two years before the nomination deadline are also eligible.
The application must contain a supporting letter from the Ph.D. supervisor.
European Biometric Industry Award 2018
Nominees must be:
- Either employees of a European company, whose core business is biometrics and who have conducted outreaching research in the field of biometrics with emphasis on the deployment in real life applications and other business aspects
- Or Ph.D. students in the final or penultimate year of study or obtained their doctorate no more than two years before the nomination deadline for the nomination submission. Their area of research must have a major focus on biometrics.
The application must contain a supporting letter from the company's CTO or from the Ph.D. supervisor.
How to apply
There is no fee to enter the competition. The nominees should submit their application as one single PDF document. The PDF document must contain the following elements in this sequence:
- The application form
- The support letter from the Ph.D. supervisor/company's CTO
- A one page curriculum vitæ
- A list of all published papers during the course of the Ph.D. studies/submitted patents
- A reprint of a publication that the candidate considers to be his/her best work.
- The biometric research paper of no more than 6 pages
The complete application document must be submitted in PDF format using the online conference management system EasyChair.
The research papers will be reviewed by an expert jury. Following the review, three candidates will be shortlisted and asked to present their research at the Finals of the Award on 26 September 2018 during the EAB scientific symposium in Darmstadt, Germany.
The scope of papers considered
The field of interest is the application of the concepts and methods of biometrics from a physical, mathematical, electronic engineering, computer science as well as business perspective. This covers a very broad spectrum ranging from formalised mathematical theory through experimental science and technological development to practical applications.
Research papers should be a maximum of 6 pages according to the format provided and must be a product of the nominees' personal work either original or already published by the nominee within the time span stated in the eligibility requirements.
- Application Form
- Application Form as a PDF
- Application Form as a DOC
- Paper Template
- LNI Template in LaTeX
- LNI Template in DOC
The deadline for submission of the required documents and research papers is
15 May 2018 15 June 2018.
Award committee (Jury)
Internationally renowned experts in biometrics have been brought together to judge the European Biometric Research and Industry Awards 2018. They include:
Chairman of the Award Committee:
- Prof. Patrizio Campisi, University of Roma TRE, Roma, Italy
- Prof. Josef Bigun, Halmstad University, Sweden
- Prof. Christoph Busch, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
- Prof. Mike Fairhurst, University of Kent, UK
- Jean Christophe Fondeur, Idemia, France
- Prof. Javier Ortega Garcia, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
- Prof. Anil Jain, Michigan State University, USA
- Dr. Tom Kevenaar, GenKey, The Netherlands
- Prof. Josef Kittler, University of Surrey, UK
- Prof. Ajay Kumar, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- Dr. Sébastian Marcel, Idiap Research Institute, Switzerland
- Dr. Martin Aastrup Olsen, Fingerprint Cards AB, Denmark
- Prof. Arun Ross, Michigan State University, USA
- Dr. Günter Schumacher, JRC, European Commission
- Prof. Massimo Tistarelli, University of Sassari, Italy
- Prof. Raymond Veldhuis, Twente University, The Netherlands
- Prof. Jim Wayman, San Jose State University, USA
For further information on the Award you may contact:
Prof. Patrizio Campisi
Section of Applied Electronics, Department of Engineering
University of Roma TRE, Roma, Italy